Re: Debian is testing Discourse

Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2020, Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

>>> forum-only people are filthy casuals and should be shown the door :)
>>
>> Well, no. In my experience it always depends on what medium was
>> first.  This one will have the most experienced users. Everything
>> coming later will most likely having a harder time getting (fully)
>> integrated.

> I was specifically taking the reference of your guild / mmo context.
> In my case, we would always spin up both a forum and TS (or the
> experienced were always on both). In fact, I think a forum account was
> more often than not required in order to even get on TS in the first
> place.

Even more if you tied the TS server to the forum account, yes.

> TS was basically *required* while in a big engagement though.  If you
> weren't on TS, you weren't in the raid / fleet / whatever the game at
> hand called it.

I think the TS/Mumble vs. Forum comparison is flawed here, it was unwise
of me to bring this to the table, because both serve completely
different use-cases in most cases.

Comparing a mailinglist with a forum, as in fact the thread is about, is
more apt.

Grüße,
Sven

--