Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Mon 13 Apr 2020 at 09:47:25 (-0400), Celejar wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 16:03:30 -0000 (UTC) Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> > On 2020-04-11, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that I'm not recommending that site. It was just one
> > > hit in the search engine.
> >
> > I found another outfit that nailed me within a 50 meter radius (if that
> > demonstrates anything).
> >
> >  https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo
> >
> > I'm not recommending these people either, BTW.
>
> I'm not recommending them either, but note that they're a major
> geolocation player, with dozens of packages in Debian that deal with
> their data / format:
>
> ~$ apt-cache search maxmind | wc
>      26     241    1820

My own IP should be rather easy to locate, as it's provided by the
local cable company in a town that's the main centre of its
"Combined Statistical Area" (to use the official jargon). So it's
likely there's some sort of "concentrator" just down the way
that leasing the current IP number.

So I looked up my email host instead, in a number of sites. The
answers varied from an office block in Manchester, the current
company HQ, to the middle of the Thames outside the Houses of
Parliament, to an estate agent (realtor) in Pewsey, a Wiltshire
village in kind of the middle of nowhere, which was the company HQ
until 2012.

I think the correct answer is that the data centre is in Stockport,
but companies aren't usually interested in publicising these places.

It would appear that, rather than use sophisticated route-tracing
through the interweb's plumbing, the web sites just consult
databases of varying quality and uptodateness.

Cheers,
David.