Re: Debian is testing Discourse

* On 2020 13 Apr 03:10 -0500, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> Well, Russ Allbery is one of the most intelligent and even-headed
> folks out there.

Agreed.

I doubt that Russ reads this list and may not be aware of the
experiences of us that have dealt with a project that wholesale replaced
working mailing lists with Discourse.  Russ should be made aware that
Discourse is not some magic software that does not require any learning.
On the contrary, it is different and requires a modern Web browser (how
does the non-GUI user participate since it is noted that an email user
is a distant second-class user?) but as he notes it is a centralized
database that facilitates an amount of control that is lacking with
email lists.  I think that the key to the discussion is that some people
seek greater control over discussions.

If the project wants to implement Discourse as an adjunct to existing
communications channels, fine, I've no problem with that.  If, however,
the goal is arbitrary and wholesale replacement of all lists with the
jumbled mess that is my experience of Discourse, then I object.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB