Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Apr 13, 2020, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> > On Apr 13, 2020, Sven Hartge wrote:
>
> >> And I've also witnissed this in other contexts, be it in an
> >> Enterprise setup (where one group flocks to Confluence and the other
> >> stay in the mailinglist) or a MMO guild, where one group prefers to
> >> converse in Teamspeak and the other uses the forum.
>
> > forum-only people are filthy casuals and should be shown the door :)
>
> Well, no. In my experience it always depends on what medium was first.
> This one will have the most experienced users. Everything coming later
> will most likely having a harder time getting (fully) integrated.

I was specifically taking the reference of your guild / mmo context.  In
my case, we would always spin up both a forum and TS (or the experienced
were always on both). In fact, I think a forum account was more often
than not required in order to even get on TS in the first place.

TS was basically *required* while in a big engagement though.  If you
weren't on TS, you weren't in the raid / fleet / whatever the game at
hand called it.

> Again, in my experience, YMMV.
>
> >> In all cases it lead to rifts and problems down the line.
> >>
> >> As hard as it is, one should commit to *one* communications channel
> >> and only one, as to not create parallel "societies".
>
> > In the groups I've been in, it was always that a formal discussion
> > (e.g.  a quarterly state-of-the group / planning session), if held on
> > teamspeak,  was recapped on the most permanent thing -- that is, the
> > forums/mailinglist/etc.
>
> Different subject here. Sure, you want to have the meeting minutes and
> the decisions from the meeting somewhere to be referred to, be it a
> website, a forum, a mailinglist (which feeds into an archive, which is
> most times a website again).
>
> But that comes *after* the fact, after the discussion and the decision
> has been made.
>
> In your example, everyone not participating in the meeting in TS is cut
> off and only gets to read it in the minutes.

Well, TS or ingame chat or whatever "realtime medium" was used.  To be
fair though; it's been like 10 years since I've been heavily involved in
MMOs, and I'm probably forgetting a bit.  I seem to recall that the
discussions were more just a realtime review of a longer-standing (say a
week?) forum thread to hammer out the issues people raised over that
time; and a bit of "what're we gonna do to make the game fun again for
our people".

> There was no live TS-to-IRC/forum transcriber active at the meeting and
> nobody that read the IRC channel/forum back to the TS to get the other
> people involved directyly.
>
> What I am saying here is that by having multiple channels of
> communication you naturally get different groups of people in them which
> tend to drift apart sooner or later, because each group isn't
> represented in the other media. And then you get the "forum casuals"
> against the "mailinglist greybeards" against the "IRC noobs" in the end.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that idea :)

--
|_|O|_|