Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 9:32 AM Bernard <bdebreil@free.fr> wrote:

Le 09/04/2020 15:45, Kent West a écrit :

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 8:29 AM Bernard <bdebreil@free.fr
> <mailto:bdebreil@free.fr>> wrote:
>

>     I just realized that in that Debian Stretch system,
>
>     I HAVE NO /home/<user>/.gconf directory !
>

> It'll rebuild itself when it's needed. The lack of a .gconf directory is
> probably not causing your problem; rather, your problem is causing the
> lack of a .gconf directory.
>
> What happened when you tried running tasskel and installing a simpler
> Windowing setup?

# tasksel

a graphical window opens and proposes a choice between Debian Desktop
environment, GNOME, KDE, xfce, MATE... I alternatively chose most of
these including Gnome Desktop env, GNOME, KDE, xfce, MATE.

During the install, did you get any errors?

What happens if you do:

# sudo aptitude update

and

# sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Errors?

$ startx

invariably leads to

connexion to X server lost

So something is wrong with your X server setup; thus my suggestion to try a simpler windowing system, and my suggestion to update/upgrade.

==

Another time, I attempted to run

# evolution

unable to init server, connexion refused
failed to initiate gtk+  could not open display

This is probably simply because X is not running; X-based apps aren't going to be able to run if X is not first running.
I see that for startx, you're writing a "$" prompt (normal user, in most cases - good), but or evolution, you're writing a "#" prompt (superuser (root), in most cases - not good).

As a test, create an ~/.xinitrc file with the single line

/usr/bin/X11/xterm

If X can start, this should start only an xterm window ("exit" should shut down X). (Don't forget to delete/modify/restore this file after this test so your system works normally.)

--
Kent West                    <")))><