Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

Hi Tom, Alexei, Kent and Everyone else,

Le 05/04/2020 03:25, Tom Dial a écrit :

From the various postings it seems somewhat clear that the system, as
such, is not broken. The initial message indicates, I think Felix Miata
noted, that there is a problem with gdm starting (probably) gnome. It
also indicates that the boot completed almost normally (or almost
completed normally).

There is no obvious problem with the disks or partitions.

By the indications given, both disks are healthy, or considered so by
the Linux kernel.

The message string does not say directly whether you received a login
widget,
"Oh, no ..."

no login widget, the "Oh, no ..." displayed after about 1 minute.

 That would
indicate that GDM (or the display manager was in use, maybe lightdm)
worked, but gnome could not start.

I have seen a similar problem with gdm/gnome on occasion, but do not
remember the exact problem or its solution. It appeared to have
something to do with corruption in one of the files under
/home/<user>/.gconf. I think my answer might have been to throw away
that directory and let it rebuild as it liked.
Tom Dial

I just realized that in that Debian Stretch system,

I HAVE NO /home/<user>/.gconf directory !

[ While I have one my laptop using Ubuntu 14.04, also on my old desktop running Debian Lenny]

but it didn't rebuild itself so far !

What should I do to get it rebuilt ?

Bernard