Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

Le 09/04/2020 15:45, Kent West a écrit :

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 8:29 AM Bernard <bdebreil@free.fr
<mailto:bdebreil@free.fr>> wrote:

    I just realized that in that Debian Stretch system,

    I HAVE NO /home/<user>/.gconf directory !

It'll rebuild itself when it's needed. The lack of a .gconf directory is
probably not causing your problem; rather, your problem is causing the
lack of a .gconf directory.

What happened when you tried running tasskel and installing a simpler
Windowing setup?

# tasksel

a graphical window opens and proposes a choice between Debian Desktop environment, GNOME, KDE, xfce, MATE... I alternatively chose most of these including Gnome Desktop env, GNOME, KDE, xfce, MATE.

$ startx

invariably leads to

connexion to X server lost

==

Another time, I attempted to run

# evolution

unable to init server, connexion refused
failed to initiate gtk+  could not open display

Does that mean that I should re-install the gtk library ?

Bernard