Re: Small Open Source Digital Classroom

On Apr 05, 2020, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 07:18:04 -0400
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>> On Apr 05, 2020, Celejar wrote:
>>> Well, you don't name your ISPs, but I'm pretty sure the big ones
>>> generally forbid running servers (for anything beyond "personal" use) on
>>> residential connections. E.g.:
>>
>> Oops, must have pulled them out on accident.
>>
>> Old-old -> cox
>
> Cox's current AUP explicitly forbids servers (at least without "express
> authorization"):

Yeah, it was 10ish years ago that I had them.  I recall having to call
and ask for ports 80 and 25 to be opened.  Similar conversation I had
with AT&T

  CS -> "You acknowledge you're responsible, and if you're spamming,
        you're in for a world of hurt?"
  Me -> "Yep!"
  CS -> "Okay, just give me a minute here ... (hold music) ...
        you're all set!"

>> Old -> Time Warner (now Spectrum; good thing I got off before their AUP
>> went insane)
>> Current -> AT&T (although i did have to call their tech support to open
>> port 25, and authorize "if I run an open relay, I'm the one at fault"
>
> Yes, ISTR running into this on the homelab reddit, that AT&T is one of
> the few major ISPs to allow servers on residential connections. In
> their AUP, they prettly clearly only forbid them on dial-up accounts:
>
> https://www.att.com/legal/terms.aup.html

Yeah, with AT&T, it's basically "you'll only get a static IP with a biz
account ... ".  Their service is good, but the corporate methodology is
stupid.

L1 techs can't do anything, and if it's outside their area of expertise,
it basically goes to a service call (which may run you a fee ...
although the only time I've had to really call out for a tech was a dead
ONT -- so free, because it's their kit).

--
|_|O|_|