Re: Small Open Source Digital Classroom

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 21:11:33 -0400
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On Apr 03, 2020, Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 12:46:00 -0400
> > Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> > > IIRC, jit.si (their web-client) defaults to needing a passphrase to even
> > > get in.  But I only ever took a cursory glance before "everyone(tm)"
> > > decided to use Zoom (i.e. good luck to me ever getting teh missus, etc.
> > > off that platform).
> >
> > I did a quick test run at their hosted instance, at meet.jit.si I
> > created a meeting (using one of their generated semi-random phrases for
> > the URL / ID) on one computer, and then logged on to the same url from
> > another computer. No passphrase was required, which is apparently the
> > same as what Zoom was doing.
>
> Oh, right - You have to click the "Add Password" button in the big popup
> that shows the dial-in information.  It's pretty prominent on the
> screen, and you kind of have to make an effort to get rid of it (or at
> least I did - there wasn't much contrast between the 'x' and the rest of
> that popup).
>

> > > On the other hand, I think some of what Jitsi has going for it is that
> > > it's somewhat decentralized -- if "my" server's settings are daft, it's
> > > *my* problem, not Jitsi's (same for any other service I run myself).
> >
> > Exactly - your hardware, your network. Under your control, but you need
> > to bring the bandwidth and horsepower. I'm a little skeptical as to how
> > well it would perform over my home internet connection (besides for the
> > fact that it would certainly violate the TOS of pretty much any
> > residential ISP service).
>
> It actually doesn't violate any ToS here (least not my ISP, and the
> previous two that I've had).  Granted the previous ones (DSL and low-end
> cable) wouldn't have been able to host it.
>
> Current ISP is FTTH, so I've got bandwidth to spare.

Well, you don't name your ISPs, but I'm pretty sure the big ones
generally forbid running servers (for anything beyond "personal" use) on
residential connections. E.g.:

Verizon:
https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/verizon-online

Comcast (a little less clear):
https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/HighSpeedInternetAUP

Charter / Spectrum:
https://www.spectrum.com/policies/residential-aup.html

I suppose we (or our lawyers) can debate whether hosting video
conferencing servers for small groups of friends or business associates
constitutes "personal" use.

Celejar