Re: Small Open Source Digital Classroom

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 12:46:00 -0400
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On Apr 03, 2020, Celejar wrote:
> >  [...]
> > Fair enough - but has anyone looked into, say, Jitsi Meet's default
> > settings? Do they block non-hosts from screen sharing?
>
> IIRC, jit.si (their web-client) defaults to needing a passphrase to even
> get in.  But I only ever took a cursory glance before "everyone(tm)"
> decided to use Zoom (i.e. good luck to me ever getting teh missus, etc.
> off that platform).

I did a quick test run at their hosted instance, at meet.jit.si I
created a meeting (using one of their generated semi-random phrases for
the URL / ID) on one computer, and then logged on to the same url from
another computer. No passphrase was required, which is apparently the
same as what Zoom was doing.

> On the other hand, I think some of what Jitsi has going for it is that
> it's somewhat decentralized -- if "my" server's settings are daft, it's
> *my* problem, not Jitsi's (same for any other service I run myself).

Exactly - your hardware, your network. Under your control, but you need
to bring the bandwidth and horsepower. I'm a little skeptical as to how
well it would perform over my home internet connection (besides for the
fact that it would certainly violate the TOS of pretty much any
residential ISP service).

Celejar