Re: Small Open Source Digital Classroom

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 08:17:56PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> […] Recently I was looking at zoom.us - seems to be in
> hype now - can be installed in debian and can be used as video conferencing
> tool.

Based on zoom's "privacy" policy and everything I've herad so far about it,
I would not recommend using zoom. Some examples:
- Just a week or so ago it was exposed that zoom was sharing data with facebook
  without informing the user about it or giving any choice on that. Alledgedly
  they stopped it now [1]
- Zoom created Security-Holes with it's Mac-Client, that persisted even after
  deinstalling zoom on OSX. [2]  Personally I wouldn't trust their other clients
  either.
- Zoom can collect more data about you then you might think and share this with
  the meeting-creator. [3]

[1] https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/zoom-ios-app-facebook/732681/
[2] https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzjj4/zoom-video-conferencing-vulnerability-lets-hackers-turn-on-your-webcam
[3] https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/what-you-should-know-about-online-tools-during-covid-19-crisis

Jitsi has already been mentioned and while I only ever used it for smaller
groups, from what I've heard it can also handle larger groups, though in that
case you might need to host your own instance on a server with enough bandwith.
That's if just a simple video conference is enough for this use case.