Re: Trying to understand why WiFi gets disconnected in Debian Buster

Hi!

I have been able to get the WiFi connected continuously to the AP for
112 hours and counting (almost five days!). Now the WiFi follows the
AP frequency changes seamlessly without any drop.

What did I do? I removed the crda and wireless-regdb packages. I have
been suspecting of them long time ago and after many experiments I
discovered wireless-regdb is Debian was (is) terribly outdated, so I
filled a bug ( https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=949553
), and the bug was corrected some days later, at least on testing and
unstable, because stable has still the outdated package.

I installed the new version in stable, but drops still happened, so I
decided to completely remove any wireless restriction/configuration
removing wireless-regdb and crda. Now my system has a wireless
regdomain 00: DFS-UNSET, which is a sort of lowest common denominator
for all wireless regdoms... but now it works just fine. I have seen in
syslog dozens and dozens of AP frequency changes and the system
followed all of them without any single problem.

Now it is cristal clear there is a big issue with WiFi in Debian. I
don't know if the kernel does not understand the info contained in the
wireless-regdb database, or the info in the wireless-regdb is just
wrong. This will be the next step.