Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
On 5/03/20 12:10 pm, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On 5/3/20 8:37 am, Richard Hector wrote:
>> I am installing it from
>> debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso.

No I didn't. The OP (Cichas) did.

> Is this CD #1 of the set of 3 or 4 or more? The .deb you are looking for
> may be on one of the other CDs.

I doubt very much openssh-server got pushed off the first CD. Especially
since the OP found the deb on the ISO image.

> I agree with the suggestion to try the DVD.   Seems the 'netinstall' is
> the opposite of what you need.

I agree the netinstall image might not have it, but the OP isn't using
the netinstall image.

Okay.  As an "Informed Responder", I thought I would do something, related to this Thread.  It is noted in another Thread, with a question about Non-Free Firmware on a separate USB Stick.  But I downloaded Buster 10.3 Gnome Live DVD, and am trying to get a "Live DVD" Gnome Environment running on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 Laptop.  Now, this Laptop has two, main Non-Free Firmware Requirements:  amdgpu for Graphics and ath10k for Wifi.  To support an earlier Buster netinst CD install, I put those Non-Free Firmware bin files on a 16G USB Stick (formatted as vfat), with the proper Directory Structure (which needs to be documented better).  At the right time, the netinst install took the aht10k Firmware from that USB, allowing me to use it with WiFi, without an Ethernet connection.

Now, you are asking the Original Poster of *this* Thread to use a Buster DVD, instead of "CD-1".  I think both of us would be happier, if there was an "Expert Path" towards booting this DVD, mainly allowing us to provide Non-Free Firmware.

What do you think?  Thanks!

Kenneth Parker