Re: Advice on upgrading to SSD

On Wednesday 04 March 2020 12:48:57 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 04, 2020 09:47:47 AM Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > Gene didn't address my problem, but made the very useful observation
> > that disks spinning 24/7 don't really die. Perhaps I shouldn't worry
> > about replacing them.
>
> I wouldn't count on that, for two reasons:
>
>    * everything mechanical wears, and eventually wears out (well,
> maybe not if the bearings are a magnetic suspension type) (no moving
> parts in contact)
>
>    * I suspect most of us don't know whether our disks are spinning
> 24/7 -- some of my computers are up 24/7, but I suspect the disks
> "spin down" when unused for some period of time

Would that not be logged as an access error, followed by a reset/restart
in the logs?  At the very minimum it should be logged so that the user
can know the drive is doing that.

The other item that would look identical in the logs is a hot red sata
drive cable that is failing, which a hot red cable will do, often before
5 years has elapsed. That particular dye has been known to be a problem
child since CB radios were imported from the J.A.Pan Company in the
early 1970's.

The red wire in the microphone cables was always the first to fail.  You
could pour the copper out of the cut off end of the red wire as a rust
colored powder.  No matter how much of it you cut off looking for good
copper to resolder a good connection.  That same plastic dye is still
destroying hot red sata drive cables. Test by moving the middle of the
cable while the machine is running with a tail on the log.  If the log
blows up, replace that cable, preferably with a different color.

In any event I would be watching such a disk with an eye toward
warrantying it before the warranty expires if a smartctl command to
disable that "feature" is not available or effective at stopping such
drive killing non-sense. I understand that W.D. Greens do that so have
never considered them for purchase.

Do I miss-understand their advertising?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)