Re: Advice on upgrading to SSD

On Wednesday, March 04, 2020 09:47:47 AM Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Gene didn't address my problem, but made the very useful observation
> that disks spinning 24/7 don't really die. Perhaps I shouldn't worry
> about replacing them.

I wouldn't count on that, for two reasons:

   * everything mechanical wears, and eventually wears out (well, maybe not if
the bearings are a magnetic suspension type) (no moving parts in contact)

   * I suspect most of us don't know whether our disks are spinning 24/7 --
some of my computers are up 24/7, but I suspect the disks "spin down" when
unused for some period of time