Re: Understanding the two-year release cycle as a desktop user (and a Debian newcomer)

On 27/2/20 3:46 am, Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 00:15:44 +1100
Keith Bainbridge <keithrbau@gmail.com> wrote:

Is LVM viable?  I can see the benefit of re-sizing on the fly. I use
multi-boot. I can see the possibility of /dev/sda1 and LVM using the
rest. But is it viable,  please?

Yes, it is viable. I use an encrypted partition with LVM on it to hold
everything except /boot on laptops, desktops, and headerless servers.
That works well for me.

However, I set it up at installation time. Since I have never set up an
Rpi, I have no idea whether you can do it on one.

Be sure to back up /etc/lvm/ in case the LVM headder gets clobbered.
I've had no problem with that for more than ten years, but you never
know...

Thanks for the positive responses. I am interested now because I am about to buy a new drive. I guess the answer to these will be obvious when I choose LVM at the disk selection stage, but do I need to keep system partitions separate? as I install the 2nd & 3rd install?

It seems I'd be wise to create several smallish virtual partitions and add them to my 'work area' as I need them. Amongst other quirks, I have taken up the practice of having a small /home partition for each OS, and sym-linking all data type directories from a bulk partition. I've been using /mnt/data but I saw /data a couple of times last night.

I'm having trouble understanding how LVM snapshots works on / if it is outside the LVM.

--
Keith Bainbridge

keith.bainbridge.3216@gmail.com
+61 (0)447 667 468