Re: Re: Understanding the two-year release cycle as a desktop user (and a Debian newcomer)

Thanks for your points of view! I agree that Stable comes at a cost, and of
course if I ever were to set up a server Debian would probably be my choice.

Regarding derivatives, I know about Ubuntu, Mint, etc., but I don't exactly
like distributions tied to or ultimately dependant on commercial entities (I
want a change of air after going through Ubuntu, openSUSE...)

I have also seen independent Debian derivatives (MX Linux comes to mind), but
they either used backports or the Testing distribution.

I would happily consider using Debian Testing for example, but wherever I see
someone asking about it I always find someone discouraging from using it due
to the possibility of having broken or unsecure packages for a long time due
to it being automated. Is it actually usable for a Workstation? The same would
apply to Sid, I can no longer allow myself to fix big breakages after broken
updates (I don't know if that really happens often in Sid)

Thanks,
Sam