new, not nice web bots disposal

over the last 90 days or so, we seem to have been plauged with a new
breed of bots scanning our web pages, and they are not just indexing our
web pages I don't mind that, but they are ignoring our robots.txt and
are  mirroring anything apache2 can reach, including stuff thats there
but not reachable by a normal browser just looking around and clicking
on links.  Its annoying as hell and when you're out in the pucker-brush
on a 10 megabit ADSL, eats up ones available upload bandwidth of about
275kbytes/s.  According to my cable billing, these A-H's used over 100Gb
of my bandwidth in Nov 2019. That describes in printable language as a
DDOS in my vocabulary.

So I asked a few questions and wrote some little 2-3 line scripts after
putting a tail on /var/lib/httpd/other_vhosts_access.log, which logs
enough info you can generally identify the bots with it.

I have since have generated 49 iptables rules that have blocked 99% of
them.

Those scripts I've placed in /etc/iptables and are owned by root.
To start iptables after a reboot:You might run this one first one
from /etc/rc.local

root@coyote:iptables$ cat start-iptables

#!/bin/bash
cd /etc/iptables
iptables-restore <rules.v4

To add a new rule, covering that whole 256 address block because they
seem to have a random address, changed about weekly, in that block:

root@coyote:iptables$ cat iptables-add

#!/bin/bash
iptables -I INPUT -s add.ress.to.block/24 -j DROP

Substituting the address of the offender for add.ress.to.block in the
last tine above.

to save the rules:
root@coyote:iptables$ cat iptables-saveem

#!/bin/bash
iptables-save >rules.v4

To see what you've got so far:
root@coyote:iptables$ cat iptables-status

#!/bin/bash
iptables -L -nv --line-numbers

Which will output the rules in effect plus the hits accumulated in this
uptime so far, in this format:
lnum   hits  bytes fate
24     846   50760 DROP  all  --  *  *   66.249.64.0/24   0.0.0.0/0

Be my guest folks, reclaim the net, we are paying for the bandwidth these
jerks are burning up.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis