Re: Understanding the two-year release cycle as a desktop user (and a Debian newcomer)

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 06:48:21PM +0100, Sam wrote:
> Thanks for your points of view! I agree that Stable comes at a cost, and of
> course if I ever were to set up a server Debian would probably be my choice.
>
> Regarding derivatives, I know about Ubuntu, Mint, etc., but I don't exactly
> like distributions tied to or ultimately dependant on commercial entities (I
> want a change of air after going through Ubuntu, openSUSE...)

I recently made the move to Debian after being a Ubuntu user since 4.10 (first
release).

> I have also seen independent Debian derivatives (MX Linux comes to mind), but
> they either used backports or the Testing distribution.
>
> I would happily consider using Debian Testing for example, but wherever I see
> someone asking about it I always find someone discouraging from using it due
> to the possibility of having broken or unsecure packages for a long time due
> to it being automated. Is it actually usable for a Workstation? The same would

A lot of people seem to be using Testing as such.

> apply to Sid, I can no longer allow myself to fix big breakages after broken
> updates (I don't know if that really happens often in Sid)

I chose Debian Stable because I need to get work done and can't afford
disruptions due to broken updates - I already have to deal with broken internet
connectivity, ISP/institutional shenanigans from time to time.

I kept my old Ubuntu LTS instance running while I setup Debian Stable with stuff
that gave me the same functionality. I have customised my Stable instance with
the software that is minimally resource intensive (no GNOME/KDE/XFCE).

To make the decision easier:
  * When work is important stick with Debian Stable *

HTH,
Didar

--
Somewhere in Tenafly, New Jersey, a chiropractor is viewing "Leave it
to Beaver"!