Re: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) was broken after upgraded from stretch-backports.

Sorry to change the subject, however, I have been trying to install Debian (and Mint) on an HP Pavilion desktop.  The installation goes very smoothly until "Grub" starts to install.  At that point the system freezes and the only thing that can be done is to restart the install.  I have tried the install multiple times with the same results.  Has anyone else had a similar problem and does anyone know how to get around the problem?

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 6:46 AM Nektarios Katakis <nektarios@mail.nektarioskatakis.xyz> wrote:
Στις 2020-02-18 12:41, Anastasios Lisgaras έγραψε:
> On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Στις 2020-02-17 13:17, Anastasios Lisgaras έγραψε:
>> [...]
>> [...]
>> [...]
>> [...]
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As far as I understand it:
>> - Backports repository is not intended as an ordinary repo from which
>> you can install all the packages.Its purpose is to let the user
>> install selected packages for which there is a need for a more recent
>> version (option -t). Installing all packages from backports may lead
>> to problems.
>> - By default your ordinary repo has a 500 priority and backports a 100
>> priority: when you set up a 500 priority for backports, it means that
>> that backports has priority over your ordinary repo, because the
>> version numbers are higher.
>> - If your ordinary (Oldstable or Stretch, in your case) repo line (or
>> sources.list.d file) in sources.list mentions "contrib non-free" it is
>> preferable to mention it too for the backports line. Then, generally,
>> if you use a backports kernel, you will want to use also the backports
>> firmwares instead of the ordinary ones.
>>
>> the backports page of the wiki:
>>  https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
>>

> Nektarios & didier thank you both for your time, interest and help!
>
> On 2/17/20 4:32 PM, Nektarios Katakis wrote:
>> You can investigate if the `graphical.target` unit is activated and
>> if the programs relying on it are installed.
>
> What exactly do you mean by saying `graphical.target` ?

If you check the output of `systemctl status graphical.target` you ll
see
it s a systemd target and whether it s activated or not. The related
file
in `/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target` will also point you to
related/
needed services for the graphical target.

You can start from there and check if those targets/services are
enabled.
Also if they failed in your last boot (`systemctl list-units
--state=failed`).

> Your view is certainly interesting and probably right (I've thought
> about it too), but first I would like to make sure the whole system is
> in the right state/point.
> According to the above data, and after the update/upgrade I did, all
> packages are the to right  "stretch-backports" point/state ?
> Or I should take action to set it up properly ? Is it better to leave
> from "stretch-backports" ?
>
> Going from Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) to Debina GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
> (without format) how risky can it be?

Upgrading from 9 to 10 should be straight forward. In my case I ensured
that
my system is up to date with the main repositories, that I had enough
free space
and then modified the sources.list to buster repos and did the apt
dist-upgrade.
That being said I didnt have any packages installed manually or on hold
(`apt-mark showhold`).

Check for a very extensive guide here
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

> On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
>> - Backports repository is not intended as an ordinary repo from which
> you can install all the packages.Its purpose is to let the user install
> selected packages for which there is a need for a more recent version
> (option -t). Installing all packages from backports may lead to
> problems.
>
> You are absolutely right! That's exactly how I started. At first I
> wanted to put the "stretch-backports" sources, to install specific
> packages from them ( specifically only the `nautilus-nextcloud` package
> ), but then I changed my mind and played a lot more risky, because in
> the end I updated my whole system.
>

> On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
>> - By default your ordinary repo has a 500 priority and backports a 100
> priority: when you set up a 500 priority for backports, it means that
> that backports has priority over your ordinary repo, because the
> version
> numbers are higher.
>
> Thank you so much for explaining the priorities - I understood that
> too.
> The reason I was thinking of finally updating my entire system, is
> because I thought that the `nautilus-nextcloud` package it would
> probably affect the whole in general GNOME, that is why I suppose that
> maybe they were more correct a more complete migration.

The packages in the backports in general should work with the ones
installed
from the stable repos. You can use them to selectively install what you
need
from there.

> On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
>> - If your ordinary (Oldstable or Stretch, in your case) repo line (or
> sources.list.d file) in sources.list mentions "contrib non-free" it is
> preferable to mention it too for the backports line. Then, generally,
> if
> you use a backports kernel, you will want to use also the backports
> firmwares instead of the ordinary ones.
>

> Thank you for your answer. About "backports firmwares" what should I
> do?
> What do you have to recommend me?
> ( I didn't know that at all )
>

> Finally, a very important question:
> Can I go back to where I was before the update ( with only stretch
> source ) ?

You should definitely be able to do this since the `apt upgrade` command
you
ran ended without any errors (your system is not broken anyhow).

> I mention this because the official documentation itself (and you)
> states that you do not recommend what I did.
>
> There is a way to "I pull a rope" and go back to my sturdy/robust port
> of stretch repositories/resources ?

Simply revert the changes sources (apt edit-sources) and
`apt update && apt upgrade`

> List installed backports :
> dpkg-query -W | grep '~bpo' : https://pastebin.com/raw/UXLKrKvA
>
> systemctl status of `gnome` and `graphical.target` ( if you find it
> inderest ) : https://pastebin.com/raw/1WLe87mJ

---
Regards,
Nektarios Katakis