Re: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) was broken after upgraded from stretch-backports.

Στις 2020-02-17 13:17, Anastasios Lisgaras έγραψε:
Hello Debian community,

Recently I needed to (to be honest, I had the *desire*) to have newer
software release.

In particular I wanted to install the nautilus-nextcloud` package
which is exist in my laptop with Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
(https://packages.debian.org/buster/gnome/nautilus-nextcloud),

but in Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) - on my desktop - there wasn't in
the basic default repositories ( and I try to have the basic installed
software on my system by the official Debian repositories ).
Since I'm sure there isn't : https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome/

I saw that in the stretch-backports repositories, there is :
https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/gnome/nautilus-nextcloud

In order not to tire you with my thoughts, I'll just tell you, at first
I just wanted to install this particular package, but then I thought it
was time to upgrade my entire system. But i did not follow the right
path (documentation) and at the moment i have a broken system which you
are having trouble getting started.

So in the end, I just upgraded my whole system (or so I think anyway).

# What did I do.
1. I created this file : /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list
(https://pastebin.com/raw/YM11TDer)
2. I also created this file :
/etc/apt/preferences.d/89_stretch-backports_default
(https://pastebin.com/raw/F6vjDEgh).

and then I ran :
```
apt update && apt list --upgradable && apt dist-upgrade && apt-get
autoremove -y && apt-get autoclean -y && apt-get clean
```

but before restarting the system I kept all the logging from the update
and you can see it in here: https://termbin.com/op1g

# The result and the weird problem.

The problem is that after restarting the computer could not boot
properly and especially with a graphical interface.
This is where the problems begin :
* https://imgur.com/a/sFJgnUh
* https://imgur.com/a/uoOFVf4
* https://imgur.com/a/yTnKIfj
* https://imgur.com/a/Hy2IwoF

At first even from recovery mode, I had no internet.
Looking and reading and as I had suspected that something might be to
blame for networking (https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/390324), i went
to the file `/etc/network/interfaces` and I commented out the "bridge
setup", so this file now has this:
https://pastebin.com/raw/8CHiwtaT

See also the contents of the file `etc/gdm3/daemon.conf` ( if useful ) :
https://pastebin.com/raw/4j5utUdX

Because at some point in the startup, I was getting the message
`firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw`, I saw this solution
here (https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/384411) and indeed, this message
I think no longer appears.

But I no longer at all to have a graphical user interface ( I use GNOME
as a graphical interface - desktop environment )
- Is the docker to blame? Delete it? (No problem if I need to delete it
so I can use my system.)
- Is the graphics card to blame?
- Is the upgrade to blame? Hasn't it been done correctly (basically it
definitely won't have been done correctly) ?
- Do you think I should add it here
`/etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list`
(https://pastebin.com/raw/YM11TDer) the 'contrib non-free' at the end of
the two sources?

What is to blame and what should I do to fix it?

However, the last picture of my system, is the one shown here:
[dmseg](https://pastebin.com/raw/TSRqv4kC).
If it is convenient or shows something more, here is the result of the
command [journalctl -b](https://pastebin.com/raw/Rw36Jp03).
At startup, after this point : https://imgur.com/a/0kC6SMQ i just type
"Alt" + "F4" and goes me to the terminal.
Luckily at least I have access from the terminal (and then ssh into the
machine)!

# The detailed features of my system.
---------------------------------------
Linux 4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2~bpo9+1
(2019-11-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux
OS : Debian GNU/Linux 9.12 (stretch)
Desktop Environment : GNOME Shell 3.22.3
CPU : MD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor
RAM : 15940 MiB
Motherboard : ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland PRO [Radeon R7 240/340]
[1002:6613] {radeon}
enp10s0: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 09)
lspci -v  : https://pastebin.com/raw/10Y9y5nc

nautilus-nextcloud/stretch-backports,stretch-backports,now
2.5.1-1~bpo9+1 all [installed]

I hope we find a solution, and thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Tasos

You can investigate if the `graphical.target` unit is activated and
if the programs relying on it are installed.

I dont think that your system is broken. But probably your desktop
environment is. If it doesnt hit by default the graphical.target.
The last time it happened on my laptop in a similar situation I
removed and reinstalled the whole desktop environment (something like
task-gnome-desktop or task-kde-desktop etc.) and fixed itself.

---
Regards,
Nektarios Katakis