Re: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) was broken after upgraded from stretch-backports.

> Στις 2020-02-17 13:17, Anastasios Lisgaras έγραψε:
[...]
> > 1. I created this file : /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list
> > (https://pastebin.com/raw/YM11TDer)
> > 2. I also created this file :
> > /etc/apt/preferences.d/89_stretch-backports_default
> > (https://pastebin.com/raw/F6vjDEgh).
> >
> > and then I ran :
> > ```
> > apt update && apt list --upgradable && apt dist-upgrade && apt-get
> > autoremove -y && apt-get autoclean -y && apt-get clean
[...]
> > The problem is that after restarting the computer could not boot
> > properly and especially with a graphical interface.
[...]
> > - Is the upgrade to blame? Hasn't it been done correctly (basically it
> > definitely won't have been done correctly) ?
> > - Do you think I should add it here
> > `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list`
> > (https://pastebin.com/raw/YM11TDer) the 'contrib non-free' at the end
> > of
> > the two sources?
> >
> > What is to blame and what should I do to fix it?
[...]

Hello,

As far as I understand it:
- Backports repository is not intended as an ordinary repo from which you can install all the packages.Its purpose is to let the user install selected packages for which there is a need for a more recent version (option -t). Installing all packages from backports may lead to problems.
- By default your ordinary repo has a 500 priority and backports a 100 priority: when you set up a 500 priority for backports, it means that that backports has priority over your ordinary repo, because the version numbers are higher.
- If your ordinary (Oldstable or Stretch, in your case) repo line (or sources.list.d file) in sources.list mentions "contrib non-free" it is preferable to mention it too for the backports line. Then, generally, if you use a backports kernel, you will want to use also the backports firmwares instead of the ordinary ones.

the backports page of the wiki:
 https://wiki.debian.org/Backports