Re: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) was broken after upgraded from stretch-backports.

>>> (https://pastebin.com/raw/YM11TDer)
>>> 2. I also created this file :
>>> /etc/apt/preferences.d/89_stretch-backports_default
>>> (https://pastebin.com/raw/F6vjDEgh).
>>>
>>> and then I ran :
>>> ```
>>> apt update && apt list --upgradable && apt dist-upgrade && apt-get
>>> autoremove -y && apt-get autoclean -y && apt-get clean
> [...]
>>> The problem is that after restarting the computer could not boot
>>> properly and especially with a graphical interface.
> [...]
>>> - Is the upgrade to blame? Hasn't it been done correctly (basically it
>>> definitely won't have been done correctly) ?
>>> - Do you think I should add it here
>>> `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list`
>>> (https://pastebin.com/raw/YM11TDer) the 'contrib non-free' at the end
>>> of
>>> the two sources?
>>>
>>> What is to blame and what should I do to fix it?
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> As far as I understand it:
> - Backports repository is not intended as an ordinary repo from which you can install all the packages.Its purpose is to let the user install selected packages for which there is a need for a more recent version (option -t). Installing all packages from backports may lead to problems.
> - By default your ordinary repo has a 500 priority and backports a 100 priority: when you set up a 500 priority for backports, it means that that backports has priority over your ordinary repo, because the version numbers are higher.
> - If your ordinary (Oldstable or Stretch, in your case) repo line (or sources.list.d file) in sources.list mentions "contrib non-free" it is preferable to mention it too for the backports line. Then, generally, if you use a backports kernel, you will want to use also the backports firmwares instead of the ordinary ones.
>
> the backports page of the wiki:
>  https://wiki.debian.org/Backports

Nektarios & didier thank you both for your time, interest and help!

On 2/17/20 4:32 PM, Nektarios Katakis wrote:
> You can investigate if the `graphical.target` unit is activated and
> if the programs relying on it are installed.

What exactly do you mean by saying `graphical.target` ?

Your view is certainly interesting and probably right (I've thought
about it too), but first I would like to make sure the whole system is
in the right state/point.
According to the above data, and after the update/upgrade I did, all
packages are the to right  "stretch-backports" point/state ?
Or I should take action to set it up properly ? Is it better to leave
from "stretch-backports" ?

Going from Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) to Debina GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
(without format) how risky can it be?

On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
> - Backports repository is not intended as an ordinary repo from which
you can install all the packages.Its purpose is to let the user install
selected packages for which there is a need for a more recent version
(option -t). Installing all packages from backports may lead to problems.

You are absolutely right! That's exactly how I started. At first I
wanted to put the "stretch-backports" sources, to install specific
packages from them ( specifically only the `nautilus-nextcloud` package
), but then I changed my mind and played a lot more risky, because in
the end I updated my whole system.

On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
> - By default your ordinary repo has a 500 priority and backports a 100
priority: when you set up a 500 priority for backports, it means that
that backports has priority over your ordinary repo, because the version
numbers are higher.

Thank you so much for explaining the priorities - I understood that too.
The reason I was thinking of finally updating my entire system, is
because I thought that the `nautilus-nextcloud` package it would
probably affect the whole in general GNOME, that is why I suppose that
maybe they were more correct a more complete migration.

On 2/17/20 6:41 PM, didier.gaumet@gmail.com wrote:
> - If your ordinary (Oldstable or Stretch, in your case) repo line (or
sources.list.d file) in sources.list mentions "contrib non-free" it is
preferable to mention it too for the backports line. Then, generally, if
you use a backports kernel, you will want to use also the backports
firmwares instead of the ordinary ones.

Thank you for your answer. About "backports firmwares" what should I do?
What do you have to recommend me?
( I didn't know that at all )

Finally, a very important question:
Can I go back to where I was before the update ( with only stretch
source ) ?
I mention this because the official documentation itself (and you)
states that you do not recommend what I did.

There is a way to "I pull a rope" and go back to my sturdy/robust port
of stretch repositories/resources ?

List installed backports :
dpkg-query -W | grep '~bpo' : https://pastebin.com/raw/UXLKrKvA

systemctl status of `gnome` and `graphical.target` ( if you find it
inderest ) : https://pastebin.com/raw/1WLe87mJ

--
Kind regards,
Tasos