Re: Having trouble installing Debian on brand new hard drive

Please use a correct quoting method: it is difficult to differenciate your discourse from others when when replying to you :-)

Le mercredi 12 février 2020 09:00:05 UTC+1, kaye n a écrit :
> Are UEFI updates necessary? What's the smallest allowable size I can make
> for UEFI partition? Or is that not a wise thing to do?

didier@hp-notebook14:~$ df
Sys. de fichiers               blocs de 1K   Utilisé Disponible Uti% Monté sur
[...]
/dev/nvme0n1p3                       98304     32169      66135  33% /boot/efi

in my case, (Debian+Win10) already 33MB are used out of a 100MB ESP (EFI) partition

> I just figured that the /home partition is where config files of apps are
> kept, correct? And they're just small files?  When I install an app, most
> of it goes into / , and not /home, therefore I usually make /home a
> separate partition and at 2GB only.

/home is basically where personal files are stored by default, including personal configurations overriding global configurations (mostly stored in /etc).
For example if you download big files (videos), depending on the software you use for that, by default these videos are stored somewhere in /home (maybe in Downloads ou Videos subdirectory). On a typical linux personal installation, /home is really bigger than /.

I surmise you intend to use the big NTFS partition you created before as a common (between Windows and Debian) personal data partition.
- I think in Debian that will be slower than using the /home partition (ntfs-3g is a FUSE solution)
- I think that possibly (probably?) you will have problems (authorizations) accessing the files created using Debian when you use Windows.

> Windows will automatically create a partition out of the 50GB partition
> that I made for it?

I may be wrong, but I do not think the Microsoft Windows installer will do so: it will probably try to create other partitions if there is enough available space on your disk