Re: Anyone with experience scanning with Epson

Hello Friends! I'm the OP.

Problem solved.

One laptop. Two printers. Epson L220 (USB connected) and Epson L355 (wifi connected).   I can now print and scan with both printers, one connected via USB, and the other over wifi.

With regards to scanning, if I have been scanning with L220, then for some reason I need to switch to wifi scanner L355 to scan something else, all I need to do is edit /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf by:

commenting out usb 0x04b8 0x08d1

and uncommenting net 192.168.X.XXX (so I can switch to scanning over wifi).

Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what got it to work.  I can only tell you what I installed, and what files I created and edited.

Weird as it is, it seems I have to install these two.  Again, not sure if it was indeed the solution that got it working.

 sudo dpkg --install imagescan_3.57.0-1epson4debian8_amd64.deb
(which is inside the core folder of this file: imagescan-bundle-debian-8-3.57.0.x64.deb.tar.gz)

and

also using dpkg command on the deb files in the core and data folders of this file:  iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz

Furthermore, here are some things that I'm not sure is necessary.  I will leave it as is because everything is working fine and I'm too lazy to rule out anything that's not needed.

In /etc/sane.d/dll.conf , notice what is commented and uncommented.

#epjitsu
#epson
#epson2
#epsonds
epkowa

Also, created the files /etc/udev/rules.d/49-sane-missing-scanner.rules

and

/etc/udev/rules.d/myVendor.rules

and added the following lines in them:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}==”08d1″, MODE="0664", GROUP=”scanner”, ENV{libsane_matched}=”yes"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}==”08d1″, MODE="0664", GROUP=”scanner”, ENV{libsane_matched}=”yes"

That's about all the things I did.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Been using Linux for years but compared to you guys I know next to nothing.

Thank you very much for all your input!

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun 09 Feb 2020 at 10:20:54 -0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2020-02-09, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Against doing this is the fact that Epson does not provide a package
> > for the L220 that employs the epkowa backend. That is because epkowa
> > is not meant for that device. Maybe the OP has found this out by now.
>
> Did you tell the OP that? I missed it. Oh, I see you asked what file the
> OP downloaded and that question was left hanging without a response.
>
> Epson only seems to provide a single generic package for their
> scanners/multifunction printers.

There is also an iscan-bundle, which has libsane-epkowa.

> http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php

The imagescan bundle uses libsane-imagescan.

> http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/imagescanv3_e.html#sec6-1
>
> I was thrown off by the OP's error message:
>
>  Failed to open device 'epkowa:usb:002:003':

The imagescan bundle is what is offered by Epson for the L220 at

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

Permissions on the USB bus wouldn't have been top of my list to look
at.

> Maybe that's related to the (perhaps unwise) entry the OP added to
> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf. It's true the installation manual linked above
> makes no mention of it.
>
> > (Incidentally, the bug that the Ubuntu advice is targeting is one
> > that was never present in Debian stable, testing or unstable).
>
> That too, I guess.

Ubuntu took the SANE packages from experimental to put into 18.04 LTS.
You reap what you sow.

--
Brian.