Re: Anyone with experience scanning with Epson

On Sat 08 Feb 2020 at 09:48:19 -0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2020-02-07, kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Friends!
> >
> > I'm running:
> > Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64
> > bits: 64
> > Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
> > Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
> >
> > My printer is an Epson L220.  It's connected to my laptop's USB port.
> >
> > The command lsusb shows:
> > Bus 002 Device 003: ID *04b8:08d1* Seiko Epson Corp.
> >
> > Therefore in the file, /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
> > I added this line:
> >

> > *usb 0x04b8 0x08d1*
> > The printer can print just fine, but ImageScan and XSane would not run.
> >
> > ImageScan says:
> > Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status.
> >
> > XSane says:
> > Failed to open device 'epkowa:usb:002:003':
> > Access to resource has been denied.
> >
> > Thank you for your time!
> >

> You might try one or both of the workarounds in the Epson
> troubleshooting section here
>
>  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane_Troubleshooting
>
> They seem to advise trying the first workaround first (and then, if that
> fails, the iscan workaround in addition to that). Here's the first
> workaround listed (which appears to deal with your permission problems):
>
>   sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epk* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/

Against doing this is the fact that Epson does not provide a package
for the L220 that employs the epkowa backend. That is because epkowa
is not meant for that device. Maybe the OP has found this out by now.

(Incidentally, the bug that the Ubuntu advice is targeting is one
that was never present in Debian stable, testing or unstable).

--
Brian.