local network capability scanner?

Greetings all;

My local network has 2 8 port switches, one here in this room that claims
to be a gigabit and managed.

One of its ports is connected to the upstream port of another dumber
unmanaged 8 port switch that feeds the machines in the garage, and which
also claims to be a gigahertz capable switch.

But file moves to/from the machines in the garage seems to indicate
theres a slow connection of around 10Mb/s someplace in that path.

Do we have a utitity that for troubleshooting purposes, can take the
address of one of those machines, and somewhat like traceroute, but
report the bandwidth capability of every box in that path including this
machine and target addresses abilities?

It could even be this machine thats slow, the old mobo that started a
fire in one of the mobo usb headers had only 100MB hardware as it was a
going on 13 yo Asus board, and has been replaced by a gigahertz plus new
asus, but it is running from the same hard drive that has a 32 bit
stretch for an amd64 phenom but is now seemingly happily feeding a 9nth
gen core i5 on an Asus x-370 mobo with 32 GB of dram. I've not
reinstalled IOW.

So I'd be happy to learn of such a troubleshooting tool.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis