Re: Anyone with experience scanning with Epson

On Sun 09 Feb 2020 at 10:20:54 -0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2020-02-09, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Against doing this is the fact that Epson does not provide a package
> > for the L220 that employs the epkowa backend. That is because epkowa
> > is not meant for that device. Maybe the OP has found this out by now.
>
> Did you tell the OP that? I missed it. Oh, I see you asked what file the
> OP downloaded and that question was left hanging without a response.
>
> Epson only seems to provide a single generic package for their
> scanners/multifunction printers.

There is also an iscan-bundle, which has libsane-epkowa.

> http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php

The imagescan bundle uses libsane-imagescan.

> http://download.ebz.epson.net/man/linux/imagescanv3_e.html#sec6-1
>
> I was thrown off by the OP's error message:
>
>  Failed to open device 'epkowa:usb:002:003':

The imagescan bundle is what is offered by Epson for the L220 at

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

Permissions on the USB bus wouldn't have been top of my list to look
at.

> Maybe that's related to the (perhaps unwise) entry the OP added to
> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf. It's true the installation manual linked above
> makes no mention of it.
>
> > (Incidentally, the bug that the Ubuntu advice is targeting is one
> > that was never present in Debian stable, testing or unstable).
>
> That too, I guess.

Ubuntu took the SANE packages from experimental to put into 18.04 LTS.
You reap what you sow.

--
Brian.