Re: can't mount sdf1 in stretch, gparted claims its fat32

On Tue 04 Feb 2020 at 07:47:58 (-0500), songbird wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 03 February 2020 23:56:47 David Wright wrote:
> >
> >> Well, at least one of my guesses was correct.
> >
> >:)
> >
> > FWIW, the reboot fixed the can't mount, both partitions on this sd card
> > now mount normally, but are on /dev/sde now since the were found at
> > bootup. I've had this happen before, back before the other mobo caught
> > fire.
>
>   that is why i always put a label on a file system and
> mount it using that in the fstab.
>
>   i hate how devices can change out from under you
> otherwise.  some people use the UUIDs but i don't like
> those or have enough devices where i want to use them.
> labels work very well for me.

You can also use any of the links in /dev/disk. For example, I have at
least one system that will only boot from a few favoured USB sticks,
so I use the same ones over for netinst i386 and netinst amd64.
However, the soft labelling on the sticks varies from release to
release, but the ID of each stick doesn't, so in /etc/fstab I use,
for example:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_Flash_Disk_58F99DC1-0:0 /media/alsglobal2g iso9660 ro,user,noauto

(The mount point is created by udev which spots that ID_SERIAL_SHORT=58F99DC1)

Cheers,
David.