Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 05:54:46AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 03:09 <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 07:57:49PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > > Or it may be as easy as going into the Mate Settings Daemon application
> > > (if it has a GUI) and disabling the xrdg plugin.
>

> I tried to find that and couldn't.
>
> I would like to be able to experiment with other desktops or window
> managers. Can I do that and still return safely to my current setup? If so,
> what do you recommend?

I burnt my bridges when i left, screaming, the last DE I used
(it was XFCE, AFAIR), so I can't give you first-hand advice. But
I know Debian goes a long way in enabling you to choose and change
your environment.

Perhaps set up another (throwaway) user accont to try out.

That said, I don't want to come across as if I consider DEs to be
"something bad": there are many things you'll have to take care
of (e.g. don't expect an USB stick to be automatically mounted on
insert, be prepared to go shopping or hacking -- I went hacking --
when your LCD brigntness control doesn't do what you want, yadda,
yadda).

I think it's a deeper problem, But perhaps off-topic here.

Cheers
-- tomás