Re: RFE: Could crc32 be included in the debian live/installation disk?

On Wed 09 Oct 2019 at 21:30:52 +0300, Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 06:57:58PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 09 Oct 2019 at 20:20:43 +0300, Reco wrote:
> >
> > > Unsure if it still on the first installation DVD, but let's take good
> >
> > You could easily check.
>
> And thus, ladies and gentlemen, we have a volunteer.
> Please check it, and share results with the list.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/list-dvd/debian-10.1.0-i386-DVD-1.list.gz

Game. set and match.

> > > old rkhunter.  Using it for its primary purpose (i.e. searching for
> > > rootkits) is overly optimistic these days. But it's secondary purpose is
> >
> > "these days"? "overly optimistic"? rkhunter has never found a rootkit
>
> Try reading whole sentences next time.
> I'm aware that rkhunter and you share a troubled past. There's no need
> to remind about it every time someone mentions rkhunter in this list.

The primary purpose of rkhunter (whether it is realises or not) is to
produce false positves and confuse any naive user who installs it. A
respected member of this list who advocates using it presumably has an
excellent technical reason for doing so.

--
Brian.