Re: RFE: Could crc32 be included in the debian live/installation disk?

>>  this is a hash algorithm that is implemented of the chips anyway, it
>> is the fastest of them all, used by synch (is it?) and it is crucially
>> helpful when data integrity is very important.

>And it's also one of those broken checksum algorithms which makes it
>easy to replace a part of file while keeping a checksum intact.

 Well, I wasn't claiming CRC32 was fail-safe, what I actually meant is
that data integrity would be based on:

 a) two -fast- and "reasonably" safe signature utilities which are
based on -different algorithms-
 b) that data will be used anyway

 When you are dealing with the process of managing such relatively
large amounts of data, you need something as fast as possible. Debian
install already takes some time.

 It is extremely unlikely (verging on impossibility) that you could
corrupt two different signatures of the same data while at the same
time keeping the file size intact and on top of that that data will
functionally relate to other data and ultimately cross someone's life,
mind. Say for example, code (as it is the case of Debian packages)
most probably that altered package will not compile and if it does how
could it functionally relate to the other pieces of the "system"?

>>  I like to do baseline checks when I first install an OS base and when
>> I upgrade it.

>apt install debsums

>Every Debian package contains MD5 checksums of the files it provides.
>All you need to do is to check them on a routine basis.
>If you need a better checksum algorithm, you use IDS, not homegrown
>scripts.

 thank you and yes the MD5 checksums of the file (to which some other
checksum could and should be added) could be used to produce a
baseline at the end of the installation (as a seamless option to the
user), which user could save some place and then when user feels like
checking his base installation, user would go to the Debian live
initial installation DVD and just run that "data integrity" check
utility to the new baseline of the system and compare it to what was
kept before.

 Of course, that could be easily be misused for some nefarious
intentions ;-). I am talking here only about data integrity.

>>  Does Debian internally have the kind of check pointing that Windows
>> does with which you could revert the state of an OS to a operating
>> "moment" you can manage?

>Sure. And it's called "off-host backup", a concept which predates both
>Linux and Windoze. As you helpfully mention below, "you do not own your
>computer", so "in-host" checkpoints are untrusted by your very own
>definition.

 I think you are twisting a bit my point here in a confusing way.

 No, you do not own your computers or any networked device you use,
but you have an easy way to check if the data in it has been changed,
when and how. I have been noticing all along how data has been left in
my computer (definitely more than cookies) and how my file systems
have been altered. Even the idea of an encrypted hard drive is a joke
once you open a browser.

>>  the reason why I push for the crc32 algo is because instead of using
>> sha?sums which are much slower, I would rely on both crc32 and md5sum,
>> when I have to baselines the 200+K files included in the base install
>> that comes with the installation disk.

>A noble if misguided effort. Surely you're aware that Debian project
>provides both install media and LiveDVDs along with checksums of them?
>They did this job for you already.

 Yes, but where is the GUI based data integrity check?

>>  Nowadays you can safely assume that you do not own your computer

> And refraining from using certain processor architectures and non-free
> operating systems ...

 Your joke is beside my point

>>  I would like to remove all cookies

>Why accept them in the first place then?

 because "cookies" have been turned into an all encompassing black
mail and tracking mechanism, so if you don't accept them they will not
show you pages, let you get to your email account, ...

 One of the problems of the Internet is that they can lie to "We the
people" but we can't lie to them. Imagine a java based (so that it
works on most OS) seamless Internet proxy based on already existing
technologies such as an HTML parser and Nashorn used to "Yes, sure!"
them and send them all kind of well-crafted bogus data. I hate JS for
more than one good reason, they slow your Internet experience, dump of
all kinds of commercial cr@p on you, ... that utility would take care
of that. It would be like reader mode on steroids, they think they are
making you view their bsing ads while you arent seeing or being
bothered by any of it ...

 I could imagine some idiots telling me that that would be "against
the law", some "user agreement", ... that "capitalism would go down if
such a thing existed". If I want to buy some toilet paper I would go
and get it I don’t need some so-called "AI"-based bs "reminding me"
or, and this is not a figurative joke, that actually happened to me,
ask my doctor about a colonoscopy via email (a google "don’t be evil"
account) and when the page refreshed they told me all the  colonoscopy
clinics in my area ;-) . . . no, quite literally, it is not even "your
ass" anymore

>>  Anyway, here is some crappy proof of concept to what I am suggesting.
>> That kind of utility could be made part of the installation:

> Checkpointing the contents of volatile directories such as /run and /tmp
> won't do you any good.

 thank you I was also having problems with write only files which I
should take off the baseline

> Checksumming of /lib* /usr and the like is done by every Debian package
> already.

 at installation, right? but, again, this is not what I am talking
about. Debian should offer an easy way to baseline its installation on
an ongoing basis.

> Checksumming of /boot is an interesting idea (AFAIK you can validate
> the kernel only, but that's it), but I'd use something like dm-integrity
> for this.

 Heck I would even dump the BIOS and make a copy of the boot record
before and after grub installs

>> Any ideas about how that kind of base lining could be improved,
>> streamlined?

>Did you already evaluate existing IDS like the following ?
>  https://packages.debian.org/stable/samhain
>  https://packages.debian.org/stable/systraq
>  https://packages.debian.org/stable/tiger
>  https://packages.debian.org/stable/tripwire

 I see my idea as way simpler than actively having to use and mind IDS

> (The game of mutual fooling and spoofing needs lot of experience.)

 In my case I do what Linus Torvalds does. I never effing ever connect
my workhorse computer to the Internet. That does it in the simpler
possible way. If they own your attention they own you, but it is still
somewhat annoying connecting to the Internet every time with a live
DVD. I am just trying to find a less hassling way of dealing with
reality and handling that now illusive thing they used to call
"security".

 lbrtchx