Re: RFE: Could crc32 be included in the debian live/installation disk?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 07:56:46PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 09 Oct 2019 at 21:30:52 +0300, Reco wrote:
>
> > 	Hi.

> > > You could easily check.
> >
> > And thus, ladies and gentlemen, we have a volunteer.
> > Please check it, and share results with the list.
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/list-dvd/debian-10.1.0-i386-DVD-1.list.gz
>
> Game. set and match.

Thanks, consider doing it all from the start next time.

> > > "these days"? "overly optimistic"? rkhunter has never found a rootkit
> >
> > Try reading whole sentences next time.
> > I'm aware that rkhunter and you share a troubled past. There's no need
> > to remind about it every time someone mentions rkhunter in this list.
>
> The primary purpose of rkhunter (whether it is realises or not) is to
> produce false positves and confuse any naive user who installs it.

Fill a wishlist bug report to change rkhunter description to reflect
your stance. Don't waste that negative energy in maillists, use it for a
common good.

> A respected member of this list who advocates using it presumably has an
> excellent technical reason for doing so.

In may be shocking, I know. The reason was in the statement you choose
not to quote. Starting with "But it's secondary purpose is".

Reco