Re: Default Debian install harassed me

On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 17:44:55 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

>  Patrick Bartek writes:
> > Try unistalling a DE, either in part or whole, to replace it with
> > another and you'll end up with no xorg and all the stuff that goes
> > with it, and all the apps that run under it. Quite a surprise.
>
> My desktop machine has a highly-customized FVWM installation but I've
> changed DEs on my laptop without  running into that.

Well, it WAS about 8 years ago and the last time I tried it.  I had
installed Wheezy (32-bit) with GNOME 2 on a friend's eeePC 900.  It
originally had some Linux system on it that mimiced Windows XP, but it
was trashed and didn't work. GNOME proved to be just too heavy for its
4GB SSD, 512MB RAM and 1GHZ Atom CPU. Response was sluggish and it hit
the swap a LOT. Even upgrading to 1GB RAM, the maximum, only helped a
little. I decided to go with a lighter, customized install of LXDE. It
being modular made this simple. And since I didn't use the metapackage,
I didn't get all the crap that gets installed with it. Too make things
easy, I figured to just uninstall GNOME.  Wouldn't work no matter what
method I tried. Uninstall always wanted to remove ALL X based stuff.
Dependency hell. Researched a lot. No solutions found. Finally, gave up
and just reinstalled the OS with LXDE and reconfigured.  System still
in use and works fine.

This was also the same year, I abandoned DEs entirely when I upgraded
from Fedora 12 GNOME 2 to Wheezy LTS Openbox WM and a single LXpanel
with menus.  Now with Stretch. Similar set up.

I understand it is now easier to remove a DE, but haven't tried it.  No
need.  Don't use DEs anymore.  Just eye candy.  Waste of CPU cycles.