Re: Default Debian install harassed me

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 12:44:32 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek writes:
> > They are each their own Hell.  Package management software solved,
> > more or less, one type, but created another beast as the OP has
> > discovered and that we each deal with in our own ways.  Such is life
> > . . . and software
>
> The OP is in a hell of his own making (which is fine with me).  If he
> wasn't such a dork he'd let Lxqt pull in Xarchiver, ignore it, and
> install his choice of archiver.

I understand the OP's frustration. I'm dealing with it myself with
Buster and systemd (but that's another post). It's just that his
way of coping with his frustration is with animosity and rudeness.
Unfortunately, it's the way dependencies have been implemented. One
should be able to uninstall one thing without it trashing your whole
system because of dependencies, Recommends, etc. There should be a
special switch: "uninstall only this, leave everything else, don't
automatically install a replacement -- I'll do that." :)

> I really don't see anything I'd call "dependency hell" any more.
> Perhaps it's because I experienced the real thing, or perhaps because I
> don't use a DE.

Try unistalling a DE, either in part or whole, to replace it with
another and you'll end up with no xorg and all the stuff that goes with
it, and all the apps that run under it. Quite a surprise.

Dependency/Recommends have gotten to the point now of
unnecessarily bloating a system with apps and utilities that
aren't needed, not wanted, and will never be used.  That's why I begin
all my installs with a terminal-only system and build it up piece by
piece judiciously checking what gets installed. The result is a small,
fast, efficient set up with only what I want -- for the most part.  My
solution is not perfect.