Re: Replacing nvidia card, with Amd - can no longer boot.

Esteban L composed on 2019-06-30 12:54 (UTC+0200):

> Been beating my head against a wall. Had a fully functional and stable setup
> (9.x, stretch) with nvidia gtx 1060. Needed to swap out video card for an amd
> radeon rx 580. I knew it would be a problem, and sometimes I hate it when I am
> right :-(

> Now, i can't boot. I hang on a "amdgpuxxxxx" to EFI VGA message.

> I don't have onboard video to fall back on. I could put the nvidia card back
> in, and I assume my machine would boot again.

> But, are there any steps on how I can get the amd driver installed, so that my
> system boots again??

Most NVidia users taint their installation with non-FOSS NVidia video drivers.
These must be removed according to the instructions that accompanied installation,
as they replace at least one library that prevents all competent FOSS DDX from
working automagically, or at all.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/