Re: Choice of VMs under i386 Stretch?

Matthew Crews writes:

On 6/30/19 5:34 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm considering using a VM for some experiments.
> Although my web searches have turned up articles about particular
> aspects of particular VMs, I've found no inventory of what VMs are
> available in Debian.
>
> My firm requirement is that all required software be in set of install
> DVDs for i386 Debian 9.8.
>
> What are my options?

Are you asking what virtual machine hosts are available on Debian?
Because Debian can easily run as a virtual machine guest.

Debian has several available virtual machine hosts at its disposal.
Check out the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization#Using_Debian_to_host_Virtual_Computers

That page gives a good overview, although it mentions quite a few solutions
which are possibly not in the DVD set. If the DVDs contain all of the `main`
repository, then these packages can be used to start with a
Libvirt/Virt-Manager/KVM setup (this is what I install on my systems):

virt-manager qemu qemu-kvm libvirt-clients libvirt0 libvirt-daemon libvirt-daemon-system

The frontend `virt-manager` can then be run to graphically manage VMs.
`virsh` can be used to manage them at the commandline.

Btw. when reading what "VMs are available in Debian" I first thought the
question was about prebuilt images for virtual machines? Images can be used
to bypass the installation at the expense of needing more download
bandwidth and being less configurable -- such images are not part of the
Debian main repository as far as I know. It is not an issue for me since I
either clone existing VMs or install them anew with the installer most of
the times...

HTH
Linux-Fan