Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On Monday 10 June 2019 09:44:36 am Curt wrote:

> On 2019-06-10, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> >> Maybe
> >>
> >>     sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
> >>
> >> if you haven't already tried it.
> >
> > No, after a reboot, I don't need to.
> >
> > minicom is working, sorta.  Theres enough diffs in the protocol to
> > call "working" by a rather fuzzy definition.  But at least
> > /dev/ttyS0 is now available for MY use. That was the squawk. I still
> > have not found where the previous boot, to the same kernel/etc might
> > have decided to grab /dev/ttyS0 for its own use. The previous boot
> > did send 7 or 8 bytes of data that was just random line noise to the
> > legacy machine on the receiving end that cable. Other than that, I'm
> > still clueless.
>
> Well, Michael Stone's guess was a good one (though, apparently,
> wrong).
>
> Of course, you don't show any logs so it's anybody's guess.

logs are a mess. Everything I ran for email support on wheezy, that kept
its own logs, is now spamming syslog to the extent that in an hour, any
interesting log events have scrolled well of the 10,000 line buffer I
give each shell. Finding anything in that mess even with grep is almost
impossible, because you can highlight it to do a copy/paste to an email,
and theres nothing in the buffer after switching windows and positioning
the cursor for the paste, its already scrolled off screen, which cancels
the highlight.

Trying to move spamd's log is hopeless because now they have no
permissions to use /var/log.  Thats such a pain in the ass to make it
work that I gave it up on wheezy and made a log dir in my home dir and
fixed logrotate to service them there. What the hell, I thought /var/log
was where to find/keep logs, but when only root can use it, its the same
as the belly appendages on a boar hog. Useless. Just because of someones
paranoia.

> Here's another: modemmanager probing ttyS0 trying to identify a modem.
>
> Probably not, though. Anyway, it's working, which is enough for some
> of us in this crazy old world.

> > If I were to file a bug, it would be against java's current
> > (stretch) jre.  It has no backward compatibility with the wheezy
> > version and has broken another utility we use so badly that the
> > majority of it has now been re-written in pypy.  So we at least have
> > the function, if not the "purty" we had with the wheezy version of
> > the jre. The purty will be improved I am sure. The pypy effort is
> > quite young yet.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Sorry for the bad mood. I can barely walk from the back pain. I've 2
riding mowers all apart in the driveway, 2 crushed disks in my back
making me miserable after 2 days of working on it, and still much of a
day yet getting a rider back in a state I can climb on, twist the key
and mow.  And its 3+ feet deep in places in the back yard.  That or
$1800 to get far enough up the quality ladder to get rid of the kawasaki
or briggs and scrapiron motors. Both are problem children.  Kohler
engines just work.  Honda engines just work. And the guy who could pick
up 200 lbs and walk it all over town? At 84 he doesn't live here
anymore.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)