Re: Privacy policy of packages/softwares installed in Debian

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 06:43:17AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> I'm not a maintainer, just a user.
>
> And a instance of the above should result in the instant moving of that
> package into the non-free category. And put a link to a readme
> explaining why its contamination by such tracking code has caused its
> status to be changed, and moved, in the former packages location.

Normally a maintainer just removes such a nasty -- that's what the
Debian-specific patches are for. But first you have to find it.

Just imagine yourself as a maintainer of (say) 5 packages, 500k lines
of code each. In your free time. Getting an update every 2 months each.

Do you go with a fine comb over each and every changed line of code
each time?

That's why our maintainers need help. Just saying "Debian Should" is
not enough help :-)

Cheers
-- t