Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On 2019-06-10, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

>> Maybe
>>
>>     sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
>>
>> if you haven't already tried it.
>
> No, after a reboot, I don't need to.
>
> minicom is working, sorta.  Theres enough diffs in the protocol to
> call "working" by a rather fuzzy definition.  But at least /dev/ttyS0 is
> now available for MY use. That was the squawk. I still have not found
> where the previous boot, to the same kernel/etc might have decided to
> grab /dev/ttyS0 for its own use. The previous boot did send 7 or 8 bytes
> of data that was just random line noise to the legacy machine on the
> receiving end that cable. Other than that, I'm still clueless.

Well, Michael Stone's guess was a good one (though, apparently, wrong).

Of course, you don't show any logs so it's anybody's guess.

Here's another: modemmanager probing ttyS0 trying to identify a modem.

Probably not, though. Anyway, it's working, which is enough for some of
us in this crazy old world.

--
“Decisions are never really made – at best they manage to emerge, from a chaos
of peeves, whims, hallucinations and all around assholery.” – Thomas Pynchon