Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On Monday 10 June 2019 04:46:33 am Curt wrote:

> On 2019-06-06, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > What do I do next to get rid of this nearly invisible agetty gizmo
> > once this machine is booted?  It might be handy if this machine is
> > truly hung, but I can count those instances on one hand with fingers
> > left over in the 21 years I have been a linux only house.
>
> Maybe
>
>     sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
>
> if you haven't already tried it.

No, after a reboot, I don't need to.

minicom is working, sorta.  Theres enough diffs in the protocol to
call "working" by a rather fuzzy definition.  But at least /dev/ttyS0 is
now available for MY use. That was the squawk. I still have not found
where the previous boot, to the same kernel/etc might have decided to
grab /dev/ttyS0 for its own use. The previous boot did send 7 or 8 bytes
of data that was just random line noise to the legacy machine on the
receiving end that cable. Other than that, I'm still clueless.

If I were to file a bug, it would be against java's current (stretch)
jre.  It has no backward compatibility with the wheezy version and has
broken another utility we use so badly that the majority of it has now
been re-written in pypy.  So we at least have the function, if not
the "purty" we had with the wheezy version of the jre. The purty will be
improved I am sure. The pypy effort is quite young yet.

> > Thanks all;
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)