??????sda5 8:5 0 7.9G 0 part [SWAP]
sdb 8:16 0 1.8T 0 disk
??????sdb1 8:17 0 1.8T 0 part /sdb1
??????sdb2 8:18 0 1K 0 part
??????sdb5 8:21 0 7.9G 0 part
sdc 8:32 0 465.8G 0 disk
??????sdc1 8:33 0 465.8G 0 part /sdc1
sr0 11:0 1 2K 0 rom

sda is a 500 GB SSD, currently the boot drive, running Stretch
sdb is a 2 TB mechanical hard drive, used for storage and
sbc is a 500 GD SSD, containg a number of computational chemistry applications that I use for my research.

I am planning on adding a 1 TB SSD to the system to be dedicated to Buster (currently Testing).

I know that if I select the new drive (for the purpose of this note, sdd) for Buster during the installation process from the iso DVD, that Buster will be installed on sdd and grub will show that as the boot drive. There would also be an entry in grub for Stretch on sda.

Herein lies the problem, sda is the boot drive, but Buster would not be a grub entry. Whenever I reboot the system, Buster will be hidden. A workaround would be to hit the appropriate key during the initial stages of the boot process to open the Bios and then manually select Buster to boot.

Couple of questions:

Will installing Buster on sdd do anything to make Stretch unbootable?
Is there a way that I can add Buster to the Stretch Grub Boot Screen? Perhaps grub-customizer?

I know this is rather convoluted, but it is essential, for non technical reasons to keep Stretch available while I am using Buster.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.          Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net         Stochastic and multivariate