Re: Back to systemd [was: Re: New list for Raspbian? (was: Re: systemdq)]

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 05:07:47PM -0700, ghe wrote:
> root@test:~# systemctl status ipfilter
> ● ipfilter.service - packetFilter
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ipfilter.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: enabled)

packages.debian.org says:

You have searched for files named /usr/lib/systemd/system/ipfilter.service
in suite buster, all sections, and all architectures.

Sorry, your search gave no results

And then:

You have searched for files named ipfilter.service in suite buster,
all sections, and all architectures.

Sorry, your search gave no results

> The service file:
>
> root@test:/lib/systemd/system# cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/ipfilter.service
> [Unit]
> Description=packetFilter
>
> [Service]
> ExecStart=/etc/ipfilterfiles/ipfilter.sh on
> ExecStop=/etc/ipfilterfiles/ipfilter.sh off
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target

> When I wrote it,

*sigh*

So, it's not --really-- a systemd unit.  You're just using systemd as
a thin layer on top of a shell script.  But you've not specified what
type of pseudo-service this is.

       Type=
           Configures the process start-up type for this service unit. One of
           simple, exec, forking, oneshot, dbus, notify or idle:

           •   If set to simple (the default if ExecStart= is specified but
               neither Type= nor BusName= are), the service manager will
               consider the unit started immediately after the main service
               process has been forked off. It is expected that the process
               configured with ExecStart= is the main process of the service.

What you're doing here is really closer to oneshot than simple.  I think.
I've never actually *written* a systemd unit file that simply acts as
a thin layer on top of a shell script.

> And this all on the RPi4.

So, it's not a Debian systemd unit file, and it's not running on Debian?
Sheesh.