Re: OT: Question about 10/100 switch on a LAN with a faster router

Hi there,

Am 2019-12-31 14:03, schrieb rhkramer@gmail.com:
I'm about to recommend that he get a 10/100 5 port Ethernet switch to connect to the two cameras and then a short cat5 (or better) Ethernet cable to connect
from the switch to the router.

I'm abouit 99.9% sure that using such a switch will not slow down any other
parts of his network, but I don't want to mislead him.

I assume you want to do the following?

   +---------- Other device (Gbit)

 Router ----------------- Switch
   |                       / |  \
   |                      /  |   \
   |              Camera A   |   (potentially more in the future)
   |                         |
   |                     Camera B

   +------------ Other device (GBit)

How much peak bandwidth are the cameras going to use simultaneously?

If both cameras won't ever use more than 100MBit/s _combined_
(either because they only use the bandwidth at different times OR
they only actually use 50MBit/s or less anyway), then this
configuration will be fine. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend this
setup. (Also consider the future-proofing of this setup, even if
you only add more 100MBit/s devices, because once you connect all
4 switch ports, all of these devices combined will share only a
single 100MBit/s link to the router.)

Am I missing anything?

Do you (or he) still have a 100MBit/s switch lying around so it
doesn't cost you anything? If so this will be fine. Otherwise I don't
see the point in buying a 100MBit/s switch -- I don't know about the
US, but here in Germany I can get a 5 port Gigabit switch for the
equivalent of ~ 20$, and that includes a VAT that is more than twice
that of the typical sales tax in the US. Heck, I can get an 8port
Gigabit switch for the equivalent of ~ 25$. Sure, I can get a
100MBit/s switch for ~ 10$, but unless I want to deploy 100s of
these, I don't see the point in saving this small amount of money;
especially since a Gigabit switch will likely still be something
useful in 10 years once your brother completely changes his current
setup, but a 100MBit/s switch might not be.

Regards,
Christian