Re: Back to systemd [was: Re: New list for Raspbian? (was: Re: systemdq)]

On 12/31/19 1:05 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

>> I guess I misunderstood the term 'daemon.' I thought it was just a
>> piece of software that, when run, stays run until it's through -- when
>> it's started at boot and has no exit, hangs around in the background
>> doing stuff. Unless somebody tells it to stop.
>
> Right. Does your script work like this? I'm asking because typically
> scripts do their thing and then exit.

Yes, it does. It's a huge (for .sh) program (Python was unavailable at
the time :-) that will, interactively, display and modify the iptables
chains. There are several other .sh and PERL scripts I've written that
do similar things -- intended to be daemons, as I understood it.

> Try systemd.service(5).

In man? I will.

But what I'm really looking for is a comprehensive book on systemd like
the 40 pounder 'Learning Python' or other O'Reilly, etc, books that've
saved my life in the past few years. (I'm more comfortable with dead
trees than I am with screens.)

--
Glenn English