Re: Back to systemd [was: Re: New list for Raspbian? (was: Re: systemdq)]

On Ma, 31 dec 19, 00:30:05, ghe wrote:

> I guess I misunderstood the term 'daemon.' I thought it was just a
> piece of software that, when run, stays run until it's through -- when
> it's started at boot and has no exit, hangs around in the background
> doing stuff. Unless somebody tells it to stop.

Right. Does your script work like this? I'm asking because typically
scripts do their thing and then exit.

> This code has, under the old init system, been thinking it's a daemon
> for a couple decades now. But you're right. On other systemd
> computers, I have to start my local firewall by hand, like I have to
> with BIND on the DNS server.
>
> > I think your unit is missing the following:
> >
> > ,----
> > | [Service]
> > | Type=oneshot
> > | RemainAfterExit=yes
> > `----
>
> That makes sense. I'll insert those lines and see what happens.
>
> I knew it'd be trivial when it came to light what I was missing. Thanks a lot.
>
> (grumble, grumble, systemd, grumble, grumble)
>
> >> And how did that file get in /usr? When I wrote it, it was in
> >> /lib/systemd/system.
> >
> > usr-merge is the keyword here.
>
> What's that? I never heard of that before, and I certainly didn't ask
> for it. One of the reasons I run Debian was that the config stuff is
> all in /etc. And, it goes without saying, stays there.

usr-merge doesn't touch /etc.

> As I said before, (grumble, grumble, systemd, grumble, grumble). It
> seems to be pretty nicely done system code, but with an absolutely
> abominable user interface. So far, I know of systemd dirs in /lib,
> /etc, and /usr. That's no way to run a *nix railroad.

If your system is usr-merged then /lib, /bin and /sbin are symlinks to
their counterparts in /usr. Nothing else is affected.

> While I have you on the hook, Sven, how/where did you get your systemd
> knowledge? I've looked around, and I haven't seen any mention of what
> you just told me.

Try systemd.service(5).

Kind regards,
Andrei