Re: Fetchnews (was Re: Home made backup system)

Kenneth Parker wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>>   check out eternal-september.org  :)  no binaries.  just
>> text.  that is all i want to read anyways.
>>

> Thanks!  Name Servers couldn't find it without the "www" in front.  I am
> investigating it now.
>
> Not likely to get too far down the nntp "Rabbit Hole" tonight,  but will
> look closer at what's there.
>
> Could you please ship me a personal email, on how you configured gmane and
> LKML to read debian-user?

  gmane is a mail to usenet gateway service.

  when you install leafnode and your favorite newsreader
and get them configured you will still have to download
an active list from the news service provider and then
have to subscribe to each group you would like to use.

  so in the case of LKML the group name is:

gmane.linux.kernel
  which is an alias used for the linux kernel mailing list.

  when you use your newsagent to search for that group
you will have to pull articles to read (via whatever you
use to get messages).  leafnode is what i use because i
understand how it works.  other people use gnus, but
i've always been used to trn, rn, tin like interfaces
so slrn works well for me.

  so basically there are three chunks to set up to get
going.  leafnode, a newsreader/writer and the news
acct itself.  none of this is super easy but doable to
anyone who likes to poke at linux/debian, etc.

  i'd rather post public messages as that way if anyone
else is reading along or searching they can also use the
information if they like.  that's why i like usenet.

  songbird