Re: Fetchnews (was Re: Home made backup system)

On 12/20/19 7:40 PM, songbird wrote:

[snip] ...[configuring gmane to read debian-user]

>   gmane is a mail to usenet gateway service.
>
>   when you install leafnode and your favorite newsreader
> and get them configured you will still have to download
> an active list from the news service provider and then
> have to subscribe to each group you would like to use.
>
>   so in the case of LKML the group name is:
>
> gmane.linux.kernel
>   which is an alias used for the linux kernel mailing list.
>
>   when you use your newsagent to search for that group
> you will have to pull articles to read (via whatever you
> use to get messages).  leafnode is what i use because i
> understand how it works.  other people use gnus, but
> i've always been used to trn, rn, tin like interfaces
> so slrn works well for me.
>
>   so basically there are three chunks to set up to get
> going.  leafnode, a newsreader/writer and the news
> acct itself.  none of this is super easy but doable to
> anyone who likes to poke at linux/debian, etc.
>
>   i'd rather post public messages as that way if anyone
> else is reading along or searching they can also use the
> information if they like.  that's why i like usenet.
>

>   songbird

I read on gmane several newsgroups from time to time with thunderbird.
Nothing is needed to install.  Setup is easy:
- Setup new newsgroup account on thunderbird; name news.gmane.org,
enter your SMTP server.
- Server settings:  Type: NNTP, Name: news.gmane.org  port: 119
- choose newsgroups:  gmane.linux.debian.user
- download messages.

I choose to post directly to the debian-user list as it posts faster
than thru gmane and still keeps the threading.
gmane provides a very effective means to quickly browse and read newsgroups.

Regards
Ralph