Re: dropbox security situation

On Thu 12 Dec 2019 at 22:39:13 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 23:29:28 +0000
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu 12 Dec 2019 at 21:13:06 +0100, l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 10 déc. 2019 à 23:11 de ad44@cityscape.co.uk:

> > > I've read the documentation. User needs to remember all of
> > > this:

> > > site-counter
> >
> > I'll give you this. But it would be very unusual to want it. The
> > default is generally good enough.
>
> "Very unusual"? Actually, IIUC, you're almost always going to maintain
> a whole table of these. As per the documentation:
>
> "The site counter ensures you can easily create new keys for the site
> should a key become compromised."
>
> IOW, whenever you need to change the password for a given site, e.g,
> because it has suffered a breach, or because of an expiration policy,
> you have to either change your master password (and then update every
> single password managed by the system), or else increment the site
> counter for that site. You then have to keep track of all non-default
> site counters.
>
> Of course, these values are not that sensitive, so you can still argue
> that this system is safer than storing actual passwords - but it's
> still not the stateless utopia promised by the developer.

That's a fair analysis, although I am never quite sure what is meant by
"stateless". The only password change I have had to make was forced on
me by MBNA. They required that I reduce my 20 character high-entropy
password to 16 chars and knock off some of the funny symbols. Then they
tell me they are doing lots of things to make me safer. What a strange
world!

> > Your device is stolen or destroyed? You can recover your passwords if
> > you can remember your own name and the master password. How about that?
>
> And your site counters - although I suppose trial and error would work
> if you haven't changed a password too many times.

I think that that is the recommended technique. Although, in line with
other points raised in this thread, it could be written down.

--
Brian.