Re: Is this ALL good advise

(Please excuse topPost. )

I'm use protonmail. I run a tiny domain. And I use 2 email
clients/servers: protonmail and Thunderbird. I'm quite happy with
protonmail (PM).

On 12/4/19 3:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 December 2019 16:17:46 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

>> On Mi, 04 dec 19, 12:49:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Which bring me to the table to ask about protonmail. Who pays for
>>> that supposedly secure service at the end of the month? Simple
>>> TANSTAAFL, a law that can't be broken and have survivors, John.

Ain't no FL. It's more like a Free Nibble. The free account is pretty
limited -- plenty for me, but there are others who'll eat up their 500M
cache pretty quickly. And the next step up is $4 a month. Not much if
you're paying for an ISP and a room full of computer toys.

>> This is more than enough for me for the stuff I don't want on GMail.

I was on GMail. At GMail, you don't pay for the service, Amazon does.

PM is a lot like GMail -- webBased, kinda free. It even looks a lot like
GMail.

It's not real fast, though. All that cryptography runs through a lot of
CPU cycles. And as best I've been able to find out, they're running on a
/29.

>>> And an it follows question, how does it work with mailing lists such
>>> as this one?

That I don't know. My mailing lists, so far, come in on Thunderbird.
GMail worked, and I can't think of any reason PM wouldn't.

>> What's the point in using something like ProtonMail with a publicly
>> archived mailing list?

Yup. No point to that. Except that Google doesn't get to suck your data.

>> In any case you will be needing key(s).
>> See https://wiki.debian.org/GnuPG for how to generate and manage them.

Not really. Protonmail generates them when you sign up, and the keys
don't go to a PGP/GPG database. That's a bit worrisome -- they're in a
database in Switzerland with no Chain of Trust.

I communicate with a friend down in Texas. He has Enigmail on his Ubuntu
TB, and PM is happy with his key. PM works transparently with other
protonmail installs, with his GPG key (I did have to tell PM that he has
one and I'd like to use it), and with unencrypted folk.

Highly recommended. Very nicely done by some folks at CERN.

I found out about it in an article on Internet security/privacy on the
New York Times -- it's safe for mortals.

OTOH, I haven't been able to get anyone around here to switch from GMail...

--
Glenn English